12 August 2006

Ike's Wicked Ale, Consumption Day

I'm glad to report that I have a finished product and it tastes pretty damn good for my first brew. I was nervous when I sampled it about two weeks ago because the beer was still fairly flat and I wasn't sure if would get better. Luckily it did. So far I've gone through about eight or so bottles and I'm very pleased with the results. The next time I go to a bar, I should get a Pete's Wicked and compare it to mine. I don't think the flavor of Ike's Wicked Ale matches Pete's quite like I had hoped, but I'm not complaining.

All in all, my homebrewing project was a success!

3 Comments:

At August 15, 2006 at 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah..the new technology of making beer. When I used to live in Austin aroung 1968, I made beer by mixing a can of malt syrup from the grocery store and 5 gallons of water, waiting 4 days for fermentation, bottling the stuff, waiting another week for settling, then consumption. I had a few problem though.
1) some of my bottles exploded
2) I got kicked out of my apartment
Other than that, it wasn't bad..

 
At August 16, 2006 at 10:02 PM, Blogger Isaac Wankerl said...

Hamil,

Were the bottle caps the weakest link or did the glass actually break? I have read the warnings about unfinished fermentation causing explosions, but you're the first person I've actually heard this happen to.

 
At August 18, 2006 at 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I recall, I think it was the caps. Maybe I didn't push them on hard enough. After capping, I put the bottles in a cabinet above my stove, where it was usually fairly warm. After a few poped, there was really a mess. Stunk for a while.

After my first few exploded, I started putting the bottles outside under the stair well. I became paranoid and was afraid to go near the bottles for fear they would explode in my face if I touched them. So, I carefully approached them with a heavy paint tarp, wrapped them up and into the trash can.

Since I am in Lakeway now, we should get together for a beer at perhaps Johnny fins or Carlos and Charlies some time.

email or call me.

hamil.cooper@gmail.com
608-9554

Hamil.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home